Gorgeous nails are so easy to achieve when you play around with colour. Here’s a quick step by step tutorial on how to achieve an 80s style diagonal look for your nails.
You can create this look with any colour at all. I love bold colours (especially purple) but you can try this is in softer hues if that’s more your style.
What you will need
- Nail polish – two contrasting colours. I used Face of Australia Luxe nail enamel in ‘Private Jet’ and Rokk 96 polish in ‘Argent’. Face of Australia is stocked in Priceline and Rokk 96 in Price Attack (Australia)
- Tape – I used the frosted kind because it isn’t too strong. Make sure you use a tape that won’t remove your polish
- Nail polish corrector pen – mine is by Manicure
Apply the lighter colour on your nails and dry it completely. If you need to, apply two coats but do make sure your nails are completely dry before you use the tape.
Using small pieces of tape create a diagonal line on each nail going from corner to corner. I mirrored the angle on left and right hands so that the final result looks balanced.
Apply the second colour to the exposed nail. Be as messy as you need to be (who has time to be pedantic with nails?) as you will later use a corrector pen to remove excess polish. Like I said this is a quick tutorial and real girls make mess.
Remove the tape as soon as you applied the colour. You don’t want the tape to bond with the base colour and rip it off when you remove the tape. Do it straight away, then let the nails dry.
Looks good! Now just to remove the bits that aren’t supposed to be there… This is where the corrector pen comes in and cleans up any mistakes.
And there we are, beautiful nails in no time at all.
- Purple polish – Face of Australia Luxe nail enamel in ‘Private Jet’. Available from Priceline
- Silver polish – Rokk 96 polish in ‘Argent’. Available from Price Attack